Originally Posted On RSOPerformance.com
Painting the Cart + A Surprise From Big Mike = One Spoiled RSO Shop Girl
Step by step I was getting closer and closer to removing the cab of my C10 from its frame. Needless to say, by this point I am anxious and excited to finally move on to the next project! The cab cart was fabricated, now it needed a little extra love. I was nervous to get my first lesson in automotive paint, (due to the torn tendons in my wrist and thumb I have a tendency to shake while trying to hold things) but Big Mike was patient and told me to take my time, to spray with even strokes, and to try not to over spray or the paint will run. Once I had my gloves and ventilation mask on I gave it a go. Much to my surprise the paint gun wasn’t nearly as heavy as I thought it would be, so my application was steady and even and since this was my first paint job, I of course thought it was beautiful! With the paint dry, Big Mike brought over the wheels to reinstall which he had custom painted to look like vintage moon wheels. I have to say, they do look amazing! It’s the little things in life that make all the difference, turning this plain cart into something special.
Holes needed to be cut into the top braces of the cart for the body mounts by use of a hole saw. Starting out with a drill bit, I made a small hole in the center of my mark (4 total – 1 on each end). This hole is where the pilot drill bit sits, it helps to prevent the saw teeth of the blade (round in shape) from walking. Big Mike suggested I use a hole saw that was 1 size larger than the body mount bushing. In the event that my dimensions were off, I would then have a little “wiggle room” upon installation. Putting on my protective gear, glasses, gloves, and ear plugs I proceeded. Cutting the holes for the body mounts seemed to be taking forever. There was a lot of smoke, smell, and noise! This is where the cutting oil comes in handy. The cutting oil lubricates the blade to prolong the life of the tool while cooling the metal you are cutting reducing thermal deformation and flushing chips away from the cutting zone.
Removing the Cab + the Shop Lift = Easy Peasy!
With the cart finished it was finally time to head down to the Mechanical / Fabrication Shop with the truck to remove the cab. All of the RSO Crew helped me push it inside and get it lined up for the lift. First thing was to get her up to make sure nothing would prevent the cab from lifting free from the frame. Once the body mounts were undone, the only part still attached was the exhaust pipes, but after a few bone jarring minutes with the Sawzall (literally thought my bones were going to rattle out of my body) we were ready to dismantle. Down came the truck so that RSO Tyler and I could line up the lift feet to touch only the cab. A few adjustments later and a flip of the switch and slowly up went the cab, totally free of the frame and bed. The RSO Crew helped me push the frame out of the way then Big Mike and I lowered the cab down, lining up the holes to the cart. The body mounts were reinstalled, everything fit perfectly, a true moment of triumph. I was so excited and proud that my first fabricated piece fit as designed! After a few minutes of celebration I pushed her back down to the Paint & Body Shop to my work space ready to take on the next phase of this project.
Big Mike, Tyler, Dean, Billy, James, & Ryan:
A Special Thanks to Big Mike and the entire RSO Crew, for their help, muscle when I need more than I have. Their understanding, to explain things again when I have a blank look on my face. Their guidance, because without it, I’d never be able to do this project. I’m really not sure who is more excited for this build, the RSO Crew, Big Mike, or me!